A Relational Life Therapy Approach to Couples and Couples Therapy
Many couples today expect a level of physical, intellectual, and emotional intimacy never before imagined by previous generations. Unfortunately, few have the relationship skills needed to achieve this. RLT addresses the asymmetry between the relational appetites and skills that people bring to their relationships and provides strategies to challenge the losing strategies partners use.
You will learn how to coach couples to proactively go for what they want, speak to repair, listen with empathy, respond with generosity, and take the time to cherish each other. You will also learn how to present the truth of what you see happening in a relationship, without the need to diffuse your impact by trying to be even-handed. The treatment of sexual issues—from low desire to sex addiction—will be addressed in particular. This workshop will include a live demonstration of the RLI approach featuring an interview between Terry and a real-life couple. While this workshop is for all counselling professionals, couples and individuals from the community are welcome to attend.
You will learn:
- How to quickly diagnose and articulate the couple’s core issues using The Relational Grid™
- How to “take sides” and skillfully confront difficult truths
- The process of forming a true alliance with difficult partners by precisely identifying what they are doing that is dysfunctional, the negative consequences of not changing, and the rewards of changing
- How to use the relationship to produce dramatic character transformation
- Strategies to work with grandiosity and shame
- To address how relationship issues impact upon sexuality